The holidays are the perfect time to add bits of nature to your decor with a Christmas Swag Wreath. Making natural Christmas wreaths is a project you’ll want to make a Christmas tradition.
Making a swag is an easy wreath to learn when starting out, plus you can use a regular metal coathanger for the form, so you can get started right away!
Watch this video to see How To Make a Christmas Swag Wreath
To start your Christmas swag wreath, you will need to gather a few supplies:
- Coat hanger (the wreath ring is for making a natural round wreath)
- Balsam Fir, Pine, Cedar, holly clippings (pictured in that order)
- Garden pruners
- Floral wire
- Wire snippers
- Decorations/ floral picks
- Floral sticks (cut skewers work too)
How to Make assemble the Swag
- Push the sides of the coat hanger to the centre, stretching it into a long line. Using a pair of pliers, bend the hook of the hanger into a loop for easy hanging.
- Start with a long sturdy fir branch that is approximately 18″ long, for the swag base.
- Layer the bottom branch with two additional sturdy pieces approximately 16″ long.
- Make a similar arrangement of three branches, with the ends pointing in the opposite direction measuring approximately 10- 12″ long.
- Twist the end of the floral wire around the coat hanger to secure.
6. Layer the six fir branches together on top of the coat hanger. Twist the wire around the entire bunch of greenery multiple times, securing it to the hanger.
7. Add in additional layers of cedar/ pine/ holly in the same manner as you desire. Secure with a wrap of wire with each additional layer.
8. Embellish with ribbon, bells, pinecones, and small ornaments.
How to attach ornaments and picks
You can use toothpicks or skewers wrapped with a small piece of wire. This will allow you to poke the decorations right into the greenery. To be sure they will stay put, be sure the stick is into the center of the swag. Heavier items (like bells) can be wired right to the middle.
I love using bold wired ribbon, this red really makes the Christmas swag pop!
For easy hanging, use the loop from the top of the metal coat hanger!
Below are a few ideas on how to decorate a swag
I love how easy it is to make a Christmas swag wreath. It’s one of my favourite Christmas decorations, relatively easy to make and very affordable.
Give this Christmas swag wreath a try and be sure to stop by the Fynes Designs Facebook page to share your creation!