I’ve been making these DIY Glass Photo Ornaments for quite some time. These Christmas ornaments make the perfect keepsake or gift.
I had to share this DIY Glass Photo Ornament Tutorial with you so you know how EASY it is to get the photo inside the ornament.
Watch this quick video to learn how to make your own photo ornaments
Follow this simple step by step photo guide to making your own personalized glass photo ornament
Materials Needed for your DIY Glass Photo Ornament:
- 1 photo (relative in the size to the ornament you’ve chosen),
- 1 glass bulb,
- a stick (I like a long paintbrush so I have a soft tip),
- fishing line,
- double-sided tape,
- cardstock (with the date printed or stamped)
Instructions to Make your DIY Glass Photo Ornament
- Find a drinking glass that your ornament will sit into (you want it to sit in about 1/4 of the way, a smaller circle is better than one too big), use this as a template for your circle. If you have another means of circle cutting, a large ornament will need a 3″ circle.
- Cut two circles, one from your photo and the other from the cardstock. Add names, dates, or sentiments to the paper circle, with your printer or stamps
- Apply strips of (acid-free) double-sided tape to the photo. Cut a long piece of fishing line and fold it in half. Stick the looped end along the centre of the photo.
- Sandwich the fishing line between the two paper circles.
- Gently roll the photo into a tube (photo on the outside of the roll), and slide it into the ornament. Be sure there are no sharp points of glass that the photo will get scratched by.
- Hold onto the fishing line and run the stick back and forth over the photo to flatten it out, be careful not to dent or scratch the picture. *make sure you hold the line, getting it back out is NO fun (tape it to the outside of the bulb if need be.
- You will find two small holes in the cover of the ornament, where the wire runs through the cap. Poke the ends of your fishing line through the holes (one in each side), slip the cap back onto the ornament, and tie off the fishing line. I like to knot the strings multiple times to ensure it will not come undone.
- Complete your ornament with the ribbon of choice or simply add a hanger.
Gift, or hang your DIY Glass Photo Ornament for all to see!
It’s safe to say this may be the only glass ornament craft I ever share… they are incredibly hard to photograph!
What do you think, will you give this DIY glass photo ornament a try? You know Grandma, or a close friend would love to receive one!