Tis’ my favourite crafting season! To kick things off I joined up with a group of gals to bring you 12 Beautiful DIY Christmas Ornaments. This DIY Christmas Photo Ornament Craft is so easy. Plus, you don’t need any fancy tools or materials, just some basic craft supplies to turn your memories into beautiful photo ornaments for your tree, or as a gift.
I’ve made glass bulb photo ornaments in the past that are super popular, but they take a bit more time, planning and patience to create. These simple photo ornaments you can whip together in minutes, seriously minutes!
Christmas Photo Ornament Tutorial
- Heavy weight, tight weave fabric (muslin works well)
- 4″ embroidery hoops
- printable heat transfer material
- hot glue gun
- Ribbon of choice (I used this and this)
How to make circular photos
First you will need to print circular images to fit the 4″ embroidery hoops. I did this by using Canva, if you haven’t used it before it super simple, be sure to check it out. Choose the template for US Letter which will be a standard 8.5 x 11″ page. Next choose elements in the left toolbar, select frames and scroll down to the circles. Fill the page with five circles as shown below. Printed this will make your photos nearly fill the hoops.
Now you will need to upload your photos. Choose uploads from the tool bar. Once uploaded you can drag and drop each photo into the circles. It will automatically crop to fit the circle, but by clicking crop you can resize to fit as you wish. The filter button will allow you to change the photo to black and white if you wish.
Once all your circles are filled with photos you can add text, dates, or shapes to each image. Save your project to your computer and print on the heat transfer paper. **Be sure to mirror the image when you print.
Now you’re ready to create your Christmas Photo Ornaments in a few easy steps.
- Cut a square of fabric approx 4″ wider than the hoop and iron to remove and wrinkles. **If you choose to paint the hoop, do this before you begin, if you glitter the hoop, do that once assembled.
- Using the scissors cut out around one of your printed photos.
- Center the photo on the square of fabric and iron in place following the instructions on the package.
- Peel the protective backing from the ironed on photo.
- Place the smaller hoop behind the image and place the larger one on top pressing down, secure the screw.
- Use the scissors to trim the fabric, leaving enough of an overhang to hot glue to the backside of the hoop.
- Flip to the back side and hot glue with a light bead to hide the raw edge.
- Attach ribbon, bow, or other decorations.
- Hang on Christmas tree!
Can you believe how easy these Christmas photo ornaments are?! They make a great keepsake Christmas ornament, or a gift.
If you want to glitter the edges of the hoop, like above, I simply ran a small bead of white glue around the edge and sprinkled with glitter.
Wouldn’t these make the perfect Christmas tree ornament. Embroidery hoops come in a variety of sizes, so you can make them whatever size is appropriate for your tree.
Still want more ideas? Please visit these other blogs for some sweet Christmas ornament ideas!
The Happy Housie / The Wicker House / A Pretty Life / Place of My Taste
The Turquoise Home/ Satori Design for Living / Hymns and Verses / That’s me!
Green With Decor / Southern State of Mind / This is Our Bliss /Blue I Style
*This post may contain affiliate links. By purchasing from one of the links, I may receive a small percentage to help fund this website and continue to bring you fun ideas. Thank you.
Tags: Christmas, Christmas Crafts, Christmas decor, Christmas decorations, Christmas DIY, Christmas ornament, crafts, decor, decorations, diy, embroidery hoop, Family photos, Holidays, hoop, May Arts Ribbon, photo ornament