I love IKEA HACKS, don’t you? With a little handy work, you can easily create custom pieces that are truly unique… and save a bundle! Just like these boho pillows that I’m going to show you how to make today!
Today I wanted to share how to make these IKEA hack boho pillows. The perfect complement to any modern decor, the neutral colours are sure to go with any scheme or season!
The best part… they are NO SEW!! I repeat NO SEW!! Any skill level can master this craft. Plus the supplies are so cheap, $3 IKEA rug for the win!
IKEA HACKS: How to Make Boho Pillows from an IKEA rug
Watch this quick video tutorial to learn how to master this quick IKEA hack.
- IKEA KLEJS rug
- IKEA SORTSO rug
- Cotton piping
- Hot glue gun
- Pillow form or polyfill
How To Make a Pillow From an IKEA KLEJS Rug
- Fold the mat in half, length-wise. Fold the rounded edges inward to create a smaller rectangle.
- Hot glue the beginning of the piping near the edge of the mat. Insert the pencil and wrap the piping around, hot glue on the opposite side of the pencil.
- Allow the hot glue to set for a moment and slide the pencil out. Repeat until the opposite edge of the pillow. Repeat as many lines as you’d like. I did 3.
How to make the zig-zag line
- On the first row make a mark at 1″, 5″, 10″, 15″, and 19″.
The next row, make a mark at 2″, 7″, 12″ and 17″. Connect the dots in a zig-zag pattern.
- Apply the piping to the zigzag line in the same manner as above.
- Open the rug up to reveal the inside. Apply a bead of hot glue along each of the sides, pressing the two layers of fabric together firmly to seal the edges.
- Apply a hot glue bead approximately 3″ from each side on the bottom edge, leaving a hole in the center to fill the pillow.
- Insert polyfill inside the pillow until desired fullness. Use the hot glue to close the bottom edge the rest of the way.
How To Make a Pillow From an IKEA SORTSO Rug
This cool boho lumbar pillow is so easy, it already has a great texture and tassel ends so just glue together and fill! You could even dupe this Anthro pillow if you wanted to take it a step further.
- Fold the rug in half length-wise so the tassels are on each end.
- Run a bead of hot glue the length of the fold.
- Press the hot glue to be certain the fibres and layers fuse together.
- Apply a hot glue bead approximately 6-8″ from each side on the bottom edge, leaving a hole in the center to fill the pillow.
- Insert polyfill inside the pillow until desired fullness. Use hot-glue to close the bottom edge of the pillow.
I could go for more of these easy IKEA hacks, how ’bout you? You’re on your way to cool boho pillows in just a few easy steps!
Turns out I wasn’t the first to think of these easy IKEA hacks, check out these other DIY pillows fro IKEA rugs- Hunker Bench Pillows, Martha Stewart Striped Rug Pillows, and Dainty Diaries made some sweet colourful pillows.
Love this idea? Check out these other quick DIY projects below!
Do you own any boho pillows? Let me know in a comment below!
I LOVE your comments