Whew it has been a long time since I have shared an easy everyday craft project. I’ve been so wrapped up in home decor projects, there has been no time for general fun crafts. Well today I have a fun back to school project that is cheap and easy to make, no saws required! This first day of school photo prop will only take a few minutes to put together, and you can keep it to use year after year!
Plus I’ve teamed up with a few of my favourite gals who have other back to school ideas, be sure to follow along at the bottom of the post.
To create this reversible back to school photo prop you’ll need to make a quick craft store stop, but don’t worry, it won’t run over $5!
You will need:
- 1 wooden photo frame. I chose the photo frame because it was only $1, but a wood plaque would work too, Michaels has lots of options.
- 2 laser cut wood plaques
- 2 Chalkboard tags (package of two in the fun finds at Michaels)
- Craft paint and brush
- Glue (I used wood glue, but hot glue or craft glue will work too)
- White Vinyl from Expressions Vinyl (if you don’t have a Silhouette or other cutter, you can paint the text also).
- First paint all your pieces, be sure to paint both sides of the photo frame. Allow to dry.
- Glue each rectangle to the centre of the photo frame covering the hole.
- Download the Silhouette cut file HERE. Or print the image below if you’d like to paint it, then use this pencil transfer method.
- Apply the vinyl text to each side of frame, leaving space for the chalkboard tag.
- Apply the chalkboard tag with glue to the frame. Optional you can poke a thumb tack or nail into the hole of the tag.
I did purposely make it small so it would be easy to tuck into a drawer, to use year after year.
It really makes a quick and easy photo prop perfect for back to school!
Be sure to check out these other fun Back to School ideas
Come see some more back-to-school DIY ideas from my Canadian blogging friends!
Clockwise, they are:
First Day of School Photo Prop from Fynes Designs (that’s me)
You might like this other idea too
Want to try a new craft?
Learn all about my Embroidery Hoop Art Kit HERE