I cant’ tell you how many times I broke out in song while I was making these outdoor string lights…
Those patio lanterns, They were the stars in the sky…
I wanted to create a cute set of patio lanterns for the kids playhouse that would be colourful and fun, so when I got the chance to join in on the fun of a 3 way blog hop between May Arts, Xyron, and Simple Stories I jumped on the wagon!
You can easily turn a basic set of outdoor string lights into cute patio lanterns in minutes!
You will need:
- Shot glass size Solo Cups (Lil Reds)
- Xyron High Tack Tape
- Pattern Paper- I used Simple Stories Good Day Sunshine
- May Arts Ribbon – 1/2″ Pom Pom Sring
- Craft Knife
- String Lights
How to make DIY Patio Lanterns
- Using the craft knife cut a small square in the bottom of each cup. I tried cutting an ‘x’ but when the lights push in, it breaks the cup.
- Using the included template (or Silhouette cut file) trace the template onto pattern paper and cut out. You can get approx 8 from a 12 x 12 piece of paper.
- Apply a few strips of Xyron High Tack Tape onto the cut out, remove the backing. Starting in the centre apply the paper to each cup.
- Weave the pom pom ribbon around the strand of string lights, and poke a cup onto every other light, and hang.
I love how bright and fun this collection of pattern paper is!
You could cover each cup with a different paper like I did, or use the same to match your decor.
These jazzy outdoor string lights look great in the day or night. I loooove the May Arts pom poms, it really gives these string lights the retro vibe I was going for.
I would suggest only using your patio lanterns on a covered deck (the paper won’t withstand the elements). or take them inside for a cute addition to a party or playroom.
Aren’t they so fun?! Now here is some added fun for you!
3 lucky ladies have the chance to WIN a prize pack of – a Good Day Sunshine Kit, a spool of May Arts Ribbon (winners choice), and a 2.5″ Xyron create a sticker (3 prizes will be awarded).
Hop along to see more great projects