Have you always wanted a charming village but couldn’t swallow the price tag? In this tutorial, you’ll learn to make this Joanna Gaines inspired birdhouse Christmas village.
This craft is part of a seasonal blog hop – Seasonal Simplicity – hosted by The Happy Housie. Make sure to check out all of the other Christmas DIY Craft ideas from my blogging friends at the bottom of this post!
This cute village is made from dollar store supplies! Follow the few steps below to create your very own birdhouse Christmas village, inspired by Joanna Gaines Christmas at The Silo.
How to Make a Farmhouse Christmas Village
Watch this quick video to see how to make wood birdhouses into Christmas village houses:
Supplies to make a birdhouse Christmas village:
- Wood birdhouse
- Craft Paint- white, black, brown, grey, burgundy, green.
- Faux greenery- (a holiday pick that you can cut pieces from)
- Hot glue
- DAP Fast and Final (to make snow)
Follow these steps to make a stunning farmhouse village:
- Paint the wood birdhouse with the desired colour. Neutrals work great to get the farmhouse look.
- Drill holes in the back to fit a mini light.
- Make small wreaths from a wired tree branch (cut one from a floral pick, or pull from a garland).
- Add additional garland around windows, doors, roofline and fences. In addition, make a garland by using a branch and give it a ‘haircut’ to make it more proportional and bend into the desired shape.
- Lightweight spackling and a spreader (I used DAP Fast and Final) will create beautiful snow on rooftops, windows, ledges and greenery. Add glitter to the spackling for a little bit of shimmer.
Joanna Gaines Inspired Holiday Crafts are all about adding little details to capture the farmhouse theme
Alternatively, you can add small strips of wood to the front and sides of a birdhouse to get a trendy board and batten look.
It is easy to create a stunning Joanna Gaines style Christmas Village from just dollar store craft supplies. The kids can even help with this one!
Have fun with styling these Christmas farmhouses. Add a forest of bottle brush trees, a toy truck, fresh greenery, or a pretty print from my holiday print collection.
Today I’m joining some of my talented blogging friends for our first Christmas Seasonal Simplicity post of the year. We’re all sharing our holiday DIY or craft projects with you today! Be sure to check out these fabulous ideas by clicking on the links below each image.
- How to Flock Natural Greenery at The Happy Housie
- DIY Winter Village Wreath at Modern Glam
- DIY Christmas Jingle Bells Hanging Decoration at Zevy Joy
- Modern Organic Christmas Wreath at Cherished Bliss
- Air Dry Clay Christmas Star Lights at Clean & Scentsible
- Anthropologie Inspired Holiday Felt Wreath at Tatertots and Jello
- Polymer Clay Christmas Village at Life is a Party
- Free Advent Calendar at The Handmade Home
- Embroidery Hoop Love Sign at Craftberry Bush
- Jingle Bell Wood Bead Garland at Lolly Jane
- Homemade Pom Pom Garland at Sincerely, Marie Designs
- DIY Dollar Tree Succulent Christmas Tree at The DIY Mommy
- DIY Christmas Advent Calendar at She Gave it a Go
- DIY Faux Leather Trees at My Sweet Savannah
- DIY Orange Hoop Wreath at Cassie Bustamante
- Easy DIY Christmas Pillow Case at The Tattered Pew
- 3D Hot Cocoa Sign and Printable at Rambling Renovators
- DIY Elf House at Dans le Lakehouse
- Farmhouse Style Holiday Wood Banner at Home Made Lovely
- Joanna Gaines Inspired Christmas Village at Fynes Designs (that’s me)
- Christmas Canvas at Two Twenty One
- Modern Whimsical Snowflake Christmas Tree at This is Simplicite
- DIY Holiday Cutting Board at Joanna Anastasia
Have you made a Christmas village before? Let me know in a comment below!