Eager to start decorating for spring? This fun spring craft is just the thing to get you started! I’m sharing how to customize your Dollar Store Birdhouse Kit with patterned paper in this tutorial!
Nice weather is officially here! The change in seasons has me eager to decorate with charming colours and all the floral prints!
It’s hard for me to resist a pretty floral print, especially when it comes to scrapbook paper or anything to do with paper crafting. Give me a cheerful, colourful floral pattern (like this one I used in my master bedroom), and I’ll find a reason to buy it and craft with it.
Then I happened up some plain, wooden dollar store birdhouse kits. After a little thinking and scheming, I came up with this tutorial on how to customize your dollar store birdhouse kit with patterned paper! And I must say, I’m in LOVE!
So grab your supplies and let’s get to crafting!
How to Customize your Dollar Store Birdhouse Kit (with Patterned Paper):
Supplies to Decorate your Dollar Store Birdhouse Kit:
- wooden birdhouse kit
- parchment paper
- crafting knife
- patterned paper
- craft paint
- glitter (optional)
- cutting/crafting mat
Directions to Decorate a Wooden Dollar Store Birdhouse:
- Take a piece of parchment paper that’s just a little bigger than the face of your birdhouse.
- Hold the parchment paper over the face of your birdhouse and carefully poke a hole for the perch. Maneuver the perch through the hole and lay the parchment paper flush against the face of the birdhouse.
- Using the crafting knife, carefully fold and cut the parchment paper to create a template of the front of your birdhouse. Don’t forget to cut out the center hole!
- Grab your craft mat, patterned paper, ruler, pencil and scissors. Lay the parchment template over the area of the patterned paper you want to use.
- Use your pencil to mark the corner points of the template and the circles for the perch and entry. Then, using the ruler, to connect the marks to create the outline of the shape of your birdhouse. Trace the holes for the entry and the perch.
- Trim your patterned paper to the shape of your birdhouse face and erase any leftover pencil marks.
Pro Tip: Use your crafting knife to cut an X into the center of the birdhouse kit entry. Then use your scissors to perfect your circle.
- Use the template to cut out a second piece for the back of your birdhouse (skip the entry and perch holes!) and then cut 2 squares the proper size for the side of the birdhouse.
- Now it’s time to paint! Paint the base and roof of the birdhouse, and any other feature you’d like to accentuate. I added glitter to a few of my birdhouse kits for some sparkly fun! Let everything dry completely.
- It’s time to add the patterned paper to your birdhouse! Apply a generous amount of glue to the front panel of the birdhouse. Being mindful of the perch, apply the trimmed patterned paper to the front. Smoothing gently to spread the glue and secure the paper to your birdhouse. Repeat for each side and the back.
- Allow the glue to dry, then enjoy your pretty spring birdhouse!
These colourful and cheerfully customized dollar store birdhouse kits are the perfect addition to your spring tablescape, mantel, or hutch decor!
No scrapbooking paper? Check out this birdhouse craft where you can get a similar look with a napkin!
Looking for more spring decor inspiration? Check out these posts:
How would you customize a birdhouse kit? Let me know in a comment below!