Its finally Cottage season again! Sunny Skies, warm water, and hanging around the dock with the fam. When the mercury has risen and everyone is enjoying being on the water, I see no reason to pull them away to grab a bite. It’s so enjoyable to bring mealtime lakeside to dine al fresco. Quick and delicious meals come easy when you have the PC Insiders Collection to lean on, especially when you’re looking to create a spread that looks like you’ve spent hours when you’ve done little to no prep. You’ll love this Maple Apple Pork Loin and Miso Slaw recipe, so delicious and you’ll shave off loads of kitchen time with easy to use meal ideas from the PC Insiders Collection.
This past long weekend was the perfect time for us to pull a chair to the table by the lake. I certainly didn’t want to spend the whole weekend in the kitchen behind an apron while everyone else was swimming and on the boat. But on the flip side also wanted to treat the crew to a delicious spread to celebrate Canada Day. Presidents Choice to the rescue!
Before the holiday weekend hit I grabbed a few BBQ essentials from our Atlantic Superstore. Cheddar Jalapeno Smokies, Cane Sugar Cherry Cola, Maple Apple Seasoned Pork Loin, fresh produce and of course some local berries and asparagus.
Maple Apple Pork with Miso Slaw
Prep time: 35 minutes | Cook time: 40 minutes | Ready in: 1 hour | Difficulty Level: Easy
Maple and miso are a real power couple when it comes to the marriage of sweet and savoury flavours. Be sure to use white miso paste (aka shiro miso), as it delivers a mild hit of umami that complements rather than overwhelms the maple.
Per serving: 260 calories, fat 10 g (2 g of which is saturated), sodium 550 mg, carbohydrate 17 g, fibre 2 g, sugars 12 g, protein 26 g
- 1 PC® World of Flavours Canadian Pork Loin Fillet Roast (about 2 lb/900 g)
- 1 clove garlic, finely grated or pressed
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) white miso paste
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) PC® 100% Pure Maple Syrup Canada Grade A Amber
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) PC® Dijon Prepared Mustard
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) black pepper
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) PC® 100% Pure First-Pressed Canola Oil
- 5 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 carrots, grated
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and cut into matchsticks
- 1 Gala apple, cored and cut into matchsticks
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded red cabbage
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded napa cabbage
- Chopped fresh chives (optional)
1. Preheat one barbecue burner to medium heat and leave other burner off. Brush grill with oil. Grill pork 8 minutes, turning once. Transfer pork to cool side. Grill, lid down and adjusting hot burner if necessary to maintain temperature of 375°F (190°C), 30 to 40 minutes or until cooked through. Transfer to cutting board; cover loosely with foil. Let stand 10 minutes. Cut into 1/4-inch (5 mm) thick slices.
* As a variation I chose to cut slices in the top and garnish with apple slices before cooking.
2. Meanwhile, whisk together garlic, miso paste, vinegar, maple syrup, mustard and pepper in large bowl. Gradually whisk in oil. Add green onions, carrots, celery, Granny Smith apple, Gala apple, red cabbage and napa cabbage; toss to coat.
3. Serve pork with cabbage mixture. Sprinkle with chives (if using).
Chef’s Tip: No barbecue? Roast the pork on a greased foil-lined baking sheet in 375°F (190°C) oven until cooked through, 50 to 60 minutes.
This pork loin took about 30 seconds to prepare. I chose to bake it in the oven (according the the package directions), that way I really didn’t have to leave the lake, just plopped it on a tray sliced and added a few apples, popped it in the oven and set a timer. It was absolutely perfect and moist, tasted like I spent hours preparing it.
This Miso Slaw was so colourful and the unique flavour had everyone fighting over the last few scoops.
I hope you give this Maple Apple Pork Loin with Miso Slaw recipe a try. Its really delicious, you won’t be disappointed!
Embrace the warmer weather, get out and dine al fresco whether its at the lake, on a park bench, a picnic blanket or a towel at the beach,
Disclosure: You may have noticed that I’m working with PC quite a bit these days, I’m always happy to team up with President’s Choice and Atlantic Superstore to showcase what they have in season as it is my go to grocery store. As always everything in this post is 100% my own opinion. Hope you enjoy these ideas and tasty treats!