Freezie weather is fast approaching, and we’re armed with a fresh set of Easy Sew Freezie Koozies! Freezies are basically a main food group around here as the weather gets warmer, but no matter how high the mercury gets, little fingers still get a little nippy when Mr. Freeze is in town. Freezie Koozie to the rescue!
I first made a set of these freezie koozies about 5 years ago, I’d have to say its probably the most useful thing I’ve ever sewed. I’ve even given them as summer party favours, and birthday gifts- they are always a hit, so I wanted to share how you can make some too!
There are lots of options out there when it comes to keeping little fingers from freezing- neoprene, crochet patterns, old baby socks, even felt and fleece. However, these freezie wraps are different because they are made with a washcloth (from the dollar store), not only do they keep fingers from frost bite, they also absorb water so there isn’t a drippy mess from the package.
How to Make Freezie Koozies
You will need:
- 1 washcloth from the dollar store (1 cloth with make 4 koozies)
- 3″ strip of velcro for each
- Scrap fabric measuring approx. 5″square for each
- Sewing machine and notions
- Cut the washcloth in half both ways, leaving 4 squares.
- Cut a piece of fabric to match each square.
- Line the male side of the 3″ velcro strip face down along the edge of the washcloth. Place wrong side of fabric and wash cloth together and zig zag or serge around 3 edges (1 being the size with the velcro).
- Turn right side out.
- Fold open edge under and sew closed, top stitching around the parameter of the square.
- Sew the female piece of the velcro on the fabric side of the square- 1/2″ in from the outer edge opposite of the male velcro.
You should be able to whip together a set of these koozies in about 10 minutes, your kiddos will thank you… I can’t lie, I use them too!
The velcro makes them adjustable to any cool treat that might come your way.
I promise, you won’t regret sewing up a handful of these Freezie Koozies, you’ll be summer snack ready!
Check out this cool summer treat