When I cook, craft, sometimes even when I clean I wear an apron. I have a drawer full of them, and when my children help out they like to wear one too.
What’s cuter then you and your little mini-me being matchy mathcy?! I figured you might need a free apron pattern, so you can get matching too!
Today I’ve teamed up with my favourite group of bloggers to bring you a special hop filled with Mother’s Day gifts, little ideas how you can treat mom or grandma with a special handmade gift.
Do you remember back last year when I shared the 10 minute dish towel apron? It was SO easy to make, it literally takes 10 minutes (if you’re pressed for time you might want to check that idea out), this apron follows the same idea, but has a top and a cute pocket. I’m confidant you could make this little apron in no time.
- 1 meter of front main fabric
- 1 meter of back lining fabric
- Sewing machine and basic sewing notions
- Trim for pocket (optional)
- Print and cut pattern piece (pattern includes measurements for fabric and ribbon cuts)
Pattern Piece Download
Download Adult Size here, Download Child Size here
How to Make Mom and Me Matching Aprons
- Cut printed pattern piece from the front and back fabric.
- From the ‘V’ of fabric remaining (neck hole) create the pocket. Add trim if desired by first basting to the edge of one side. Place right sides of fabric together and stitch around the rounded part of pocket, leaving the top open to flip. Turn right side out. Turn open edges to the insde and press. Stitch pocket pieces closed.
- Lay ribbon nect ties pieces in place (according to the above photo), Place right sides of apron top pattern pieces together.
- Serge or Zig Zag stitch around the outside edge leaving the waist open (I used dark thread so you could see stitches).
- Pull on ribbon ties to flip right side out. Top stitch a 1/4″ seam around the outside edge using a coordintaing thread color.
- Cut the skirt piece according to measurements on the downloaded pattern piece (above). Place right sides together and serge or zig zag + straight stitch around 3 sides (sides and bottom) leaving the waist open.
- Turn right side out, press seams, and top stitch a 1/4″ seam around the 3 sides.
- Apply pocket, by top stitching around the curved edge.
- Next step- you will need to create 5 pleats- 3 on the skirt, and 2 on the top. Follow the method in the photo below. Should you need a text description- refer to this apron post.
- Baste pleats.
- Serge or zag stitch the open edges or the of the apron top and skirt.
- Over lap the raw eges of the apron top and skirt and baste in place. (refer to photo above).
- Fold longest strip of waist ribbon in half to find the centre, measure to find middle of skirt and overlap where the raw edges join with the ribbon. Pin in place.
- Turn apron over, fold raw ends of ribbon under, and line up matching the top and bottom of each piece of ribbon, sandwiching the apron between the ribbon.
- Using matching thread color sew around the edge of the ribbon joining the pieces together.
By extending the length of the child size, it can be made to fit any size! Isn’t it the perfect apron for mom or grandmas little helper?!
This free apron sewing pattern is perfect for the beginner sewer!
Check out these amazing Handmade Mother’s Day gift ideas
Shauna of Satori Design for Living made a Pink Grapefruit Salt Soak
Christina of The DIY Mommy shows you how to make a Mini Fairy Garden in a Tin
Jenn of Clean & Scentsible made Vintage Wood Transfer Photo Coasters
Tara of Suburble put together a Weathered Gift Tray Tutorial
Kristi of Making it in the Mountains shows you how to make a DIY Blanket Ladder
Lucy of Craftberry Bush shows you how to make this Press Fern Resin Tray
Jo-Anna from A Pretty Life in the Suburbs has a recipe for a Lemon Coconut Sugar Scrub
Alex of Northstory made these fantastic Photo Tea Bags
Virginia of Fynes Designs has a free Apron Sewing Pattern
Krista of Happy Housie made a DIY Silhouette Image Tea Towels
Take a load off Mom this Mother’s Day with a Breville Food Processor, Enter to WIN below
*Open to Canadain residents only
a Rafflecopter giveaway